Thursday, February 02, 2012

Teaching and Learning Centres: Who Needs Them?

Short Answer: we do.

Long Answer: I work at an established Military College. By established I mean 1876. Futhermore, this Military College has been empowered to confer university degrees since 1959. So these two facts together will lend most observers to believe that teaching and learning has been going on here for many years.

So why isn’t there a Teaching and Learning Centre here? Hmm. I don’t really know. The question was raised again in my mind when I read the excellent report by the Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario entitled Teaching and Learning Centres: Their Evolving Role Within Ontario Colleges and Universities.

Have a read of this paper. After reading it I have a question for you. Can you think of any good reasons for denying instructors and students access to a Teaching and Learning Centre? If not, why aren’t they found at all post-secondary institutions? Please leave your answers in a comment below.

2 comments:

Classof1 said...

It's an interesting read. After reading it, I am not able to think of any good reasons for denying instructors and students access to a Teaching and Learning Centre? My belief is that it should be available with complete access to students and instructors at all post-secondary institutions

Manpreet said...

Learning centres are indeed the much much needed in today's technology driven world.